Welcome to Priori Incantatem
All witches and wizards aboard the Hogwarts Express from Platform 9¾!

Priori Incantatem welcomes everyone to a fascinating adventure into a modern version of Harry Potter roleplaying, where nostalgia of what we know about Hogwarts meets with new exciting characters we haven't met before. We closely follow canon and the Wizard World history for what has happened in the past, but entwine our own characters into the story to make it ours. Only the canon logic, occasional rules, and your own imagination is your limit.

Priori Incantatem encourages independent roleplaying and creative self-expression, and thus we have set the bar for players to be advanced level writers so that we can trust everything runs smoothly. Every player and character is carefully scoped by staff, and we have a zero tolerance policy for toxic environments. Our main objective is and always will be that each individual feels welcome, safe, and comfortable. And most importantly, that everyone has fun!

Interested? Check out all the important stuff from the links below!

September 2023.

First semester has come again, and all the Hogwarts students are ready to say good bye to summer and greet the autumn. This is a very eventful months for all the Hogwarts students. First travelling back to school with the famous Hogwarts Express, enjoying the Sorting Ceremony of the first years, exchanging holiday stories with peers over the Opening Banquet Feast, and getting know to new students. Meanwhile, some students are greeted with new extra responsibilities, like becoming Prefects or Head Students, or taking over Captaincy or Leader positions in their respectful teams and clubs. New classes and new schedules keep the students busy too, which makes maintaining the social life and grades immediately a challenge. It'll be up to the students to sort out their priorities; studies or friends?

Original skinning was done by these following awesome people!
Skin by Thisbe of the RPG-Directory.
Push Sidebar by MERC of Merc does Cookies.
Tooltips by MALIHU.
Pop out PM by BLACK @ Code

Add Reply
New Poll

Carrow On, [Closed]
Dec 1 2017, 12:28 PM
Professor Lafayette had arrived from the ICoW station in Nepal not a few days ago. She would have favoured a room in one of the towers but she had decided to go against her desire - special requests were not her style. She used what she was given, in the end it was a place to work, not a place to feel at home. Even though she had always favoured the thin towers that made for a lot of buildings in the city of Algier, her birthplace, she would make it work, allowing the students of Hogwarts to stick to their routine.

The office had not yet been decorated, having been cleared of the personal touch of the former holder of the position. As far as Benyamina knew, there had been no special reason for their resignation - the effects of old age creep on everyone.

The wizarding community in Britain had fought a great struggle some twenty years ago, consequently enjoying a time of peace. Almost spanning a generation of peace, it seemed fitting that this age of peace lacked people that were able to defend themselves, otherwise Benyamina would have never even gotten the offer. While experienced, she was an outsider.

Having arrived via broomstick, her personal belongings were quite scarce. A couple of writing utensils littered the table, a number of files and reports - there were a handful of books but Benyamina was the type to read current writing material over history books. The only thing of notice was a giant map of the world that took up the entire left of the room.

The rest of Benyamina's collectibles lay scattered in a neat pile infront of the map, consiting of a broom, saddle bags and a wrapped up tool or two - it could have been anything from telescopes to swords. Perhaps the only other article of noteworthiness was her cloak, drapped over the shoulders of a mannequin. But any student would have seen that before, hanging off Benyamina's shoulders during her lectures. Heavy fabric rimmed with belt on the shoulder, it seemed quite ceremonial.

Given how troublesome the first week had started, there had been no time to unpack. Benyamina had spent the last couple of years on different deployments, rarely spending time in any place she considered home. Keeping her few belongings at the ready served the needs of her life.

But there were other issues to resolve. She wasn't leaving just yet. Always one to ride the attack, she considered the options that were liable. Multiple acts of rebellion already, committed by students that were - in her eyes - too soft. Where some had struggled with her leadership out of arrogance and youthful vigor, some had been less obvious, disregarding her commands even though.

The case of Glesni Carrow was not especially heinous but there was a sense of evasion that contradicted itself, Benyamina thought. It made no sense for the girl to refuse a simple task. Family name of some regard, even recent crimes littered that name's history. These people were certainly capable of using their wands for cruel things in the name of some reason or another, weren't they?

Moreover, she couldn't teach someone that had inhibitions. Regarding the student's year, the class was elective - so one thing was to be decided - either the girl started using her wand or she signed the papers that made her drop out of Benyamina's class.

"Enter," she ordered, having taken her sweet time to finish a couple of pages of the file her amber eyes had been scanning through ignoring the first couple of knocks of someone outside. Interesting stuff, to some extent. But it was always better to hear it from the mouth of a person involved, wasn't it?

This was no teacher and student meeting.

It was an interrogation.

And like the ice creatures of Himalaya cracked, so would the little princess.

26 posts | Send Message
Professor | Thirty-Six | Halfblood | Acacia, Veela Hair, 16" | Lion
APPLICATION | SHIPPER | TRACKER || Played by Lem || Female | GMT+1
Link | | Quote | |
Dec 1 2017, 05:56 PM
show me a hero
Standing up to professor Lafayette, many would argue, was a fool's deed and she was already supposed to make peace with the fact that she was on professor's blacklist to fail miserably, no matter what she does from now on. That was fine. It would not change her opinion. As she walked towards the professor's office, Glesni thought back to her stern stern face after she had announced she was refusing the task she was given. It had seemed like the entire classroom dropped their jaws according to what she had heard afterwards. She wouldn't know, she didn't care of how many people found it of great importance, or funny and stupid. She wouldn't turn her wand against anyone for sheer presentation of force. Not then, not now, not ever, and if it meant dropping out of the class... Well. There were worse things in life than pride.

Announcement of detention did not surprise her at the slightest. Announcing it in public did not shame her the slightest. Being announced to professor's office soon after, however, managed to make her slightly uncomfortable. She imagined professor Lafayette already been through many refusals before, resolving them with firm hand. She simply hoped not a lot of explanation was needed, although it was hardly likely. She was in for a dance. Simple glare of the golden eyes, without a mistake, let her know that was not the end of it. Fine then. There was not a single regret to her decision from the moment she has spoke of it out loud, until now, that she passed the long corridor towards the office.

Just when she knocked at the heavy-looking door, Glesni had remembered one important detail. She wished to avoid many question, but she had no believable excuse to go through with to be able to do just that. Damn it! At first there was no response, and it served to turn miss Carrow's attention to the reality instead of her own thoughts, causing her to fidget slightly, pulling her skirt down and knocking again.

"Oh come on", she groaned when the second time the response still missed out. She was in there. It was certain. She did not seem like a person to demand something she would not be respecting, and Glesni herself was always right on time. Being too late was not an issue. Was it yet another way of belittling her? Maybe. Mind games were clearly not unfamiliar to the woman that tended to base majority of her communication on. Better to be feared than loved might have been her philosophy, and if that was the case, regardless of her attempts to make her falter, Glesni respected it. It was not an easy way to stay true to. However, maybe she did not understand the honestly Glesni brought with her, as well as fine portion of stuborness as she knocked yet again, this time with the amount of confidence and demand the first two were lacking. Somewhere between her knocks, strict, ordering voice, responded from behind the closed door.

"Enter."

And so she did.

Clearing her throat, Glesni pushed the door open, greeting calmly, as if it was the most formal meeting possible. "Good day, professor Lafayette", She greeted with a nod, closing the door behind her. "You wished to see me." It was more of a claim than a question. Waiting to be invited further in, she stood at the respectful distance in front of the door, straight and proud in posture with her arms behind her back.

Benyamina Lafayette

and i will write you a tragedy
love, libby

--------------------
user posted image
Actual credits to ActuallyDano <3
38 posts | Send Message
Slytherin | Sixteen | Pureblood | Blackthorn, Dragon Heartstring, 12 | Uncorporeal
APPLICATION | SHIPPER | TRACKER || Played by In Causa || Female | +1 GMT
Link | | Quote | |
Dec 5 2017, 09:37 AM
Benyamina didn't greet the student upon entering, continuing to scribble her silver-winged inker over the parchment infront of her. It took another bit of time before she spoke up again and it was not to offer the student a seat - there was only one chair in the room, and that was behind Benyamina's desk - the very chair she sat in.

"Très bien."

Benyamina looked up, leaning back in her chair. For a while she looked the student over, arms retreated to the prop her elbows on her chair's arm-rests. Palms folded infront of her like a triangle, finger-tips of the opposite hands touching. She seemed to have all the time in the world. The fact that her silver feather kept on inking the parchment infront of her by itself only added insult to injury.

"Glesni Carrow, you have been called 'ere to answer for your transgressions against protocol during the last DADA lecture when you refused to obey my command."

While Benyamina sat there, at a nod, a file opened, and a single parchment unfolded itself. It seemed rather long a text, unscrolling infront of Glesni. Whereas most of the ink was a regular black, the passage in the miles of text that Benyamina wanted to point out began to gleam in red illumination. "I assume you are familiar with this article of the British Ministry of Magic. As the school grounds are in Great Britain, national law applies."

Benyamina summed up in her own words what the piece of law infront of Glesni Carrow put very formally. "The unlawful use of magic of students below the age of seventeen applies only to time they spend outside of Hogwarts. You did not receive an illegal command when I told you to use you wand."

With a wave of Benyamina's palm, the legislative scroll floated to the side, remaining in view but making room for another piece of parchment that unfolded itself. It was a school report. "Several grades of Outstanding and Exceeds Expectations in subjects that do require the use of a wand. Correct me if I'm wrong, but classes in Hogwarts were not trained only in a theoretical curriculum."

Another hand movement - this time she didn't just wave it but snapped her finger, causing a third piece of information to besiege the student. "Without having read into your personal file yet, please confirm if this is your signature and hand-writing?" Benyamina inquired, talking about the scroll that had unfurled, containing Glesni Carrow's decision to pick Defense Against the Dark Arts as an elective class with a hand-written comment of her former teacher that her desire was to become an Auror.

"I am new to this office, Mademoiselle Carrow. Correct me if these accounts of information I reviewed are in some kind incorrect or false." But if they were all correct, would that not make the student not listening to the lawful calls of a teacher an act of utmost rebellion? Especially since she could use her wand and apparently had used her wand before?

"These are simple questions, Mademoiselle. Will you not answer them?" Benyamina pressed even though she had taken her sweet time - even wasted it. She looked to the watch that she had pulled from her uniform, time teller hanging in a silvery chain. Of a sudden, it seemed that time mattered. For the silver feather had stopped scribbling, a fourth piece of parchment, fresh of ink and making, floating across Benyamina's table toward Glesni.

26 posts | Send Message
Link | | Quote | |
Dec 10 2017, 03:47 PM
show me a hero
Regardless of the woman's gaze lingering over her, Glesni approached at the respectful distance, with a calm expression, already aware of what to expect from their encounter. She was in no hurry and therefore time stolen from her by Benyamina's silence did not make her squirm. Whenever she was to speak up, miss Carrow was fine with it. Without much warning to it, her name was spoken out after some time in a confirming tone. "Glesni Carrow", he girl nodded lightly as to state she was present both physically and mentally. "You have been called 'ere to answer for your transgression against protocol during the last DADA lecture when you refused to obey my command..." Well now. The way the woman put it made Glesni feel like a criminal for her decision, in line to be thrown into Azkaban as a soldier failing obedience. Hm. How bad dementors could be anyway?

"That is correct", Glesni replied briefly, in the same cold fashion to match the atmosphere set up by the professor.

Taking notice of her response, or simply nodding it off Benyamina proceeded with the matter just as professionally. The parchment stretched out in front of her. What happened to the casual professor-student talk? Glesni fought off the urge to sigh and roll her eyes at the parchment of law. She was very much aware of all the rules and regulations as she faced the same conversation many times before with her aunt, Headmistress and several others. Never, however, for not using her wand. First time for everything. "I am aware of it, professor", she accepted Benyamina's argument as there was no question about its accuracy.

"Several grades of Outstanding and Exceeds Expectations in subjects that do require the use of wand", she continued, going through the files. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but classes in Hogwarts were not trained only in a theoretical curriculum". They were not. Thankfully. Otherwise all of the bother through years would have been for nothing. Theory without practice was only a little more than useless. "I believe you've misunderstood my-"

"Without having read into your personal file yet, please confirm if this is your signature and hand-writing?", she had interrupted her, presenting the documented class election. Glesni did not have to look to know, but aware of her position, she respected professor's wish and briefly lowered her glare at the neat cursive letters in the signature section, painfully tidy and without a doubt hers. "That would be my signature and my hand-writing, yes", Glesni confirmed once more, just to be presented more questions. She opened her mouth to once more confirm said information as correct, but Benyamina once more was faster, asking her final question ahead of herself.

"These are simple questions, Mademoiselle. Will you not answer them?", the woman finally asked. She would, if only the woman would allow her to do so by leaving her enough room for it. After the last question, Glesni kept quiet for a moment, not because she needed time to think, but she needed to make sure Benyamina had nothing more to add. Once she made sure of it, miss Carrow sighed, calming her annoyance down enough to speak properly. Another unexpected benefit to the strict raising up under her father's fist. She was able to express properly. Never before had she used it as much, but it proved more than useful in Hogwarts that appreciated such ability.

"First of all, if I may", Glesni started with a polite smile. "If you will look at my personal files, you will see that I passed all of the necessary exams outside the usual curriculum due to my transfer. They involved practice as well, true", she confirmed. "You are mistaking my refusal of using my wand for duelling, with my ability to use it overall. I am more than capable of using my wand for various purposes. However, duelling to simply prove my ability to do so is not something I wish to do."

Hesitating slightly, she had decided to go through with her explanation, without a sign of simply bragging or joking about it. What the wand was capable of if forced to do so, was a lot scarier than whichever punishment Benyamina had in store for her. "The wand is somewhat...troublesome if spells cast with him are required to be held back. With all due respect, professor, I would know of its nature more than you would. Whatever you have had in mind for me, I am aware of it, and I accept it."

Benyamina Lafayette

love, libby

--------------------
user posted image
38 posts | Send Message
Slytherin | Sixteen | Pureblood | Blackthorn, Dragon Heartstring, 12 | Uncorporeal
Link | | Quote | |
Dec 15 2017, 03:08 PM
"Naturellement. You may explain yourself," Benyamina allowed, ever friendly in a cold, business-like way.
Everyone had the right to at least explain themselves. "You 'ave that right, even if I disagree."

While Glesni explained herself, Benyamina sat back and gave the other the stage. Did it really matter what she conjured up? Had anything that Benyamina presented to make her case mattered? The facts had been obvious. The collection of documents had been a formality.

In her leaned back state, nothing moved Benyamina's icy expression, not an ounce of insight or understanding. "Now that you've explained yourself, I can tell you - it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter what you think is a worthy explanation. You are perhaps the master of your wand but I am the master of my classroom."

Benyamina finally revealed the newest document, the one that had been finished not half a dozen sentences ago. The ink still glistened. "This school is not a military installation, but as far as I'm concerned, the power I hold over my classroom is absolute. This is a resignation form, copied in letters are the insights you made - this being a legally acceptable measure. You're free to drop out of my class, Miss Carrow."

The parchment was hovering right there. The ink was on the table. She just had to pick up the quill. "Did you think this was going to be a case of silent suffering? A few hours of detention and you've made your point? Let me tell you, the point here is an entirely different one. Whatever makes you think you know your situation better than I do is a mistake. You are not a qualified witch, Miss Carrow. The only thing that qualifies you for this situation is the experience that you have made. And whatever accidental or sorrowful happening that was, it doesn't equal training or education."

Benyamina stood up, lifting to her tall height. She looked at Glesni from high above - from that judgemental cloud of superiority and foreign arrogance. "You're worried about what might happen today or tomorrow. But what I'm looking at right now is a dysfunctional witch scared of something or another. Does it matter what you're scared of? It does not. The other teachers might shrug their shoulders to your short-comings, but I will not sign anything with my name and reputation that insists you are capable of anything when you are not."

Benyamina walked to the door, then she turned, facing Glesni's back. The echo of her heels rebounded off the walls and filled the room with wordless intimidation.

"You cannot predict the future. You're young. You've got your life ahead of you. You don't know if at some point the life of someone will depend on you having been taught to handle yourself and your wand. And then, it won't be the mistake of a student that happened under the supervision of a teacher. Then, it'll be the crime of an adult witch that has all the needed paperwork to prove she's a capable witch - but isn't. Then it's a trip to Azkaban for the rest of your life. Because when you needed to learn, you didn't. You thought you knew better when you didn't. You're not protecting anyone, Miss Carrow. The only thing you're protecting is yourself from your fear of whatever happened."

Benyamina was done being at Glesni's back. Instead she showed her own back to the student, having walked to the fire place wherein there danced lazy flames. Benyamina's voice was no longer stern. It was just cold. Not even the laughing fire managed to warm it up.

"Sign the drop out form. It'll look better on your resume than me throwing you out. I'm not going to teach cowards that refuse to be taught. That stench of failure makes me sick to the stomach. Sign the letter and get out of my office."

26 posts | Send Message
Link | | Quote | |
Jan 14 2018, 02:43 PM
show me a hero
Was it strange that professor Lafayette's next move came as no surprise to her? Not at all. She had seen it coming, granted not completely, but she could have assumed something similar was bound to happen. As much as she disagreed with some aspects, she had to give credits to the unbiased, blunt nature that Benyamina shamelessly portrayed. It was a quality of a professor that certainly could have teach you something, and if nothing, unconventional ways were to be appreciated. Respectfully, Glesni allowed professor to finish bringing out her point, as she remained standing still and calm, staring at the presented parchment.

Even though miss Carrow was very well aware the honesty and truth coming from the professor, she couldn't help but to feel insulted nevertheless. She beg to differ. She certainly was not as dysfunctional as portrayed by the woman. She was better than that. The feeling of being looked down to made her feel uncomfortable and she clenched her fist in defiance. What was she thought of as? A quitter? It was certainly not a reason she refused to obey the instructions. But how was she able to explain herself without stirring the old bucket of crap. Why was she even feeling the need to do so? She had her reasons, it was enough. Professor Lafayette offered hers, and that was enough. The point was there, and it was loud and clear. A no brainer.

The girl spared professor a quick glance as the woman made her way towards the exit. That was it? Was she now expected to beg and cry for another shot? That was not about to happen. Even so, Glesni couldn't have pretended the woman did not have a valid point. She was protecting herself among everything else. But wasn't the self-preservation the basic knowledge Hogwarts gave to its students? Wasn't that message she had received with all the limitations listed to her the last time she was in trouble following the very same class? If only they would all make up their bloody minds. It suddenly became a pressure. The exact pressure she aimed to avoid. Foolishly. She was only somewhat prepared.

"Sign the drop out form", Benyamina instructed, standing what seemed to be way too close to the fire. Glesni gulped lightly, lifting her gaze briefly towards the figure. There was no question about it, she was dead serious. "It'll look better on your resume than me throwing you out". Did she really believe that, or was she simply playing with her mind, cause Glesni certainly found giving up more embarrassing than failure. She glared at the parchment in front of her with disdain, biting her lower lip as she was pushed and shoved further on.

"I'm not going to teach cowards that refuse to be taught". No lie said, it burned. Harsh. But maybe it was precisely what she needed to get over herself; or at least a proper start. Glesni Carrow was not a coward, nor a quitter. Not before, not now, not ever! "That stench of failure makes me sick to my stomach. Sign the letter and get out of my office."

"I imagine you were born unafraid and ready for everything life was to throw at you, professor", she caught herself saying before thinking it through, pushed off the edge by the very last statement. Although upset and moved by it, her voice remained collected and even. It was more of an assumption or a statement and therefore she did not expect an immediate reaction.

"You are right, however", she nodded, turning yet again to face Benyamina, even though she certainly seemed to hold no interest to face her back. "Failure has a heavy stench to it. But I hate the stench of giving up more", she smirked, somewhat cheeky, yet inside the limits of good taste.

"With all due respect, I refuse to sign this paper, professor", Glesni said decisively and clearly, placing her hands behind her back once again. She would not break. At least not for the time being. With Benyamina, it certainly was easier said then done. "I am willing to prove you wrong at your assessment. If it means failure, so be it. I will rather deal with my own failure than give up. I appreciate your concern for my well-being, however. Sincerely."

Benyamina Lafayette

love, libby

--------------------
user posted image
38 posts | Send Message
Link | | Quote | |
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Skinned by Thisbe of the RPG-Directory
Affiliates

RPG-D Sengoku Horizon
Rise of the Believers ruinandrise DIVESTED - A Canon Shingeki no Kyojin Roleplay realm of the seven DW Ataraxy STARSTRUKK - ANIMANGA ENTERTAINMENT CITY RP
Forge Just a Bunch of Hocus Pocus FF:Adventu Living the Dream: a Pokemon RPG Avalon a Panfandom RP Estorica