A Sweet Scent, ft. Quinn Kearns
Clarisse Sharpe
Mar 15 2018, 02:08 AM
Clarisse Sharpe
the puff of nightmares

Humming quietly to herself, the blonde girl walked through the long stone hallway toward the school’s kitchen. She’d dropped off her satchel and such at the foot of her bed before hurrying along for her meet up. An aromatic rush met her and she went beyond the fruit bowl door and greeted the house elves as they worked away. Lunch time was still a ways off, but the prep for the meal meant that the stoves and ovens glowed with heat almost constantly, warming the room and contrasting with the chilly halls of the castle. Natural light came flooding in through the small windows that were located about three quarters up the wall and spaced out evenly along either end of the room.

Clarisse was a regular here, and though her oddly chilling presence had taken the house elves a bit of getting used to she was welcomed warmly. The girl didn’t waste too much time getting to work, kneeling as she began pulling pots and pans from the cupboard below the countertop. She stood quickly, with something of a hop before heading to the baking pantry, taking a moment to survey the materials present. She frowned slightly. It seemed like she was running a little low on some ingredients, and the end of the month wasn’t even close. The beginning of the school year was always the driest when it came to supplies, but as always she would make due. Regardless, she’d already made a promise that she had no intention of going back on.

--

She did a bit of math in her head quickly, and found that with a conservative estimate using what they had, she could make at least one batch today, and four others over the remaining couple weeks before they could restock. The reason she couldn’t request them preemptively was that the school had a monthly budget for food that was subsidised by the Ministry. In fact, many of its activities and the equipment needed for said activities were courtesy of the Ministry at least partially, and as a rule with most businesses, the government included, if a budget went unused it was cut because it was deemed clearly unnecessary.

Now, as far as the school was concerned losing money was the least favorable option, and having a little extra was better than having too little when they needed the funds. Thus at the end of the month, if the budget hadn’t been met, as it often wasn’t, the money was used to buy various ‘frivolous’ ingredients as it was once put. The only reason Clarisse was given access to them was because she made the cookies herself, rather than subjecting their paid house elves to do so, and shared them with the student body without bias. The arrangement had been in place for years now, and thus far no one had any qualms with it.

--

The blonde turned toward her little baking counter, and peered around the side, plucking her apron up from the hook and tied it around her back before heading back to the pantry. The girl bent down, hugging the large bag of flour to her chest and lifting it with her knees. She waddled over to the counter and set the bag down and despite being rather careful in putting it down a plume of the fine dust rushed up to coat her. She chuckled to herself as she brushed herself off, noting that she would clean herself up when the pair of them were all done. She made a couple more trips to collect sugar and other basic ingredients before turning her attention to the three baking volumes that sat at the back of the counter.

She paused for a moment, realizing she couldn’t progress all that much farther, seeing as her partner in crime wasn’t here yet, and she’d figured they could choose the recipe together, or rather she would go for whatever he wanted. The blonde paused a moment, before trying to busy herself however she could while she waited. Quinn would be along any minute, she was sure of it. After all, he didn’t seem like the type to leave people waiting.

#Quinn Kearns / Note: Cooking with Clarisse and friends is gonna be a hit xP

--------------------
user posted image
as played by Namora

Hufflepuff

member groupHufflepuff titleHufflepuff character ageSixteen genderFeminine blood statusHalf-Breed [ Modified ] patronusBlue Morpho Butterfly wandAlder, Phoenix Feather, 10 Inches and Unyielding points52 posts36
Awards: 2

Quinn Kearns
Mar 19 2018, 03:32 AM
Lykes
With a billow of fabric and a trailing scarf, Quinn was racing through the levels, more than ready for his next appointment. The end of the week was nearing, and his schedule was less packed in comparison to Mondays’ long Potions lectures. It gave him time to relax, time to push studies off his mind and dwell on the more exciting things in life.

Baking was never a key requirement in his life until he met Clarisse. His mother was a disaster in the kitchen, and his father was more skilled in preparing meals than whipping up pastries. But despite the lack of a pâtisserie at home, Quinn still grew up with a sweet tooth, ever since he could remember.

Once, he and his siblings had taken a shot at a simple cookie recipe. Should they have properly listened to Linus’s instructions, they might've been able to produce a batch, but Kitty was reckless and impatient as ever, rushing the process and smoking up the kitchen with burnt crisps. At least he was able to indulge in the mixing bowl’s remaining cookie dough.

Seeing the perfect results of Clarisse's batches and experiencing the even more refined process, it was impossible for Quinn to pass on any baking sessions.

It was more than convenient for their dorms to be beside the kitchens. After dropping his study bag, heaven was right there. But the transition wasn't as smooth as the blond had imagined it to be. Julmunui was suddenly greedy for attention, refusing to let the boy undress. Wrestling with the feline for a bit, Quinn finally tossed the agile form onto his bed along with his robes, shedding the long sleeves for a simple printed tee and removing the threat of dirtying his uniform.

And the cat immediately ricocheted back onto the boy when the opportunity came.

Again, Quinn had to give the ear rubs and kisses the fur baby longed for before escaping through the doorway. While he may have been tolerant with Julmunui's presence and would have let animal perch upon his shoulders, it was better if cat hair wasn't getting into the cookies.

Now casually dressed and free of demanding felines, the blond excitedly left the rooms, relieved that he could finally reach his destination that was so close yet so far. Growing legs strode into the kitchen, smiling down at the busy elves and noticing each of their unease.

He could feel it too, in the air, but it wasn't something that he allowed to disturb him. The faint aura was chilling, but his optimistic mind associated it with their beloved 6th year’s generosity.

Familiar navigation led the young Huffle to the older, eyeing the ingredients that had already been laid out.

Aish, I’m not too late, am I? Did you have trouble getting anything? Julmunui was being a fussy little baby again…”

Hands were resting on his hips, contemplative for a quick moment before making the decision to find an apron for themselves.

“But there shouldn't be any more reason to wait! Shall we get started?”

as played by Lykes

Hufflepuff

member groupHufflepuff titleHufflepuff character ageFifteen genderMale blood statusHalf-blood patronusMink wandelm wood, dragon heartstring core, 11 ½" points1 posts24
Awards: 1

Clarisse Sharpe
Mar 21 2018, 11:34 PM
Clarisse Sharpe
the puff of nightmares

Clarisse was hardly even aware of the new presence behind her until he spoke, “Aish, I’m not too late, am I? Did you have trouble getting anything? Julmunui was being a fussy little baby again…” At the mention of the boy’s animal companion the girl grinned, she liked his cat, though it wasn’t quite a fan of her. No animals really seemed to be, which proved to be something of a bother in Care for Magical Creatures, especially with the larger and more… intimidating, or defensive creatures they were going to be dealing with later on. Clarisse glanced up and over her shoulder, grinning at the new arrival. “Hey Quinn! Glad you’re here!” She called over her shoulder after having knelt down against to collect the sift. At his question she nodded slightly, “Yeah, we’ll start in just a bit. Almost ready.” Just then she caught a glimpse of the baking instrument in the back hiding in a bowl, “There’s an apron around the corner here--”

She pointed to the end of the counter while peering into the back of the cupboard. “--Oh! And have a look through those books and pick out something you’d like to make!” She pulled the sift out and glanced over at the boy, “And this time make sure to leave me more of the dough in the bowl, I love that stuff!” There was a playful note in her voice, “So, what’re we making?” The blonde asked, wiping down the counter with a wet rag. Though she had enough to get through the baking for the month without too much trouble, she was certain there had been more raw ingredients last week, and for the life of her she couldn't think of where they had gone. She glanced over at the house elves, and figured that she would inquire with them later on. As far as she was aware she was the only one with permission to use school ingredients so freely, it was perplexing. Regardless it wasn’t the time to linger on this, she was in company, and good company at that.

#Quinn Kearns / Note: Pick your poison~

--------------------
user posted image
as played by Namora

Hufflepuff

member groupHufflepuff titleHufflepuff character ageSixteen genderFeminine blood statusHalf-Breed [ Modified ] patronusBlue Morpho Butterfly wandAlder, Phoenix Feather, 10 Inches and Unyielding points52 posts36

Quinn Kearns
Mar 25 2018, 02:04 AM
Lykes
A warm smile crowned with an equally warm gold, yet the greeting had that ever present unnerving feel to it. Some hadn't gotten used to it, and Quinn was a part of that pool, but he always refused to let the chills bother him and will continue to refuse.

His gaze followed the finger’s direction, and feet were hasty to follow suit. An apron had been resting at the very end indeed, and Quinn donned the string over his head. The books didn't escape his sight either, neat collections with a wide variety of recipes that the sweet tooth would always appreciate. Hands did not wait to flip open the covers.

“C’mon Clarisse, I love cookie dough too, but I also do worry about eating too many raw products. Better safe than sorry! I think.”

Bolded names titled each page, and each dessert would've been a good choice. Leaning against the counter, the shorter haired blond focused on what his tongue was telling him, what kind of taste he was craving.

“I might be feeling either shortbreads or pinwheel cookies. Is there anyone that you need to bake for today? Satisfy any other requests before my own! Since I'm not picky with my sweets~”

He had helped deliver a few times, and loved the joy that small circular biscuits could bring to people. He'd do it all the time, that is if he had time outside of keeping up with his classes. This, for the time being, he relied on his own other tactics to make those around him happy.

as played by Lykes

Hufflepuff

member groupHufflepuff titleHufflepuff character ageFifteen genderMale blood statusHalf-blood patronusMink wandelm wood, dragon heartstring core, 11 ½" points1 posts24
Awards: 1

Clarisse Sharpe
May 10 2018, 12:30 AM
Clarisse Sharpe
the puff of nightmares

Clarisse leaned forward against the counter on her crossed arms as she watching the boy’s blue eyes scan each page as he flipped through the book. The leather bound tome he held in hand was a crimson red, the color gave away that it was the third book of the set. The first two were bound in a similar material, their spines decorated with a golden roman numeral to mark it’s number in the set. The first was a dark cobalt blue, and its neighbour was a forest green. Though she’d had them for a couple years now, they still remained in pristine condition, a product of care, and a little touch of magic.

Quinn piped up, seemingly triggered by a certain recipe, “I might be feeling either shortbreads or pinwheel cookies. Is there anyone that you need to bake for today? Satisfy any other requests before my own! Since I'm not picky with my sweets~” She smiled at his consideration, “It’s fine Quinn, there are no other requests right now, aside from Raina’s ever present expectation of chocolate--” Her voice held an audible note of humor as she spoke about their housemate, “--but she’ll get some when dueling club comes around.”

The girl quickly tied back her hair in a bandana and ponytail, “...If you’re on the fence between the two then let’s do the pinwheels. There’s a recipe I’ve notice a couple times in that book...” She glanced over at the page he was currently open to, “I think it’s a couple pages back... It’s one I’ve been wanting to try out actually, so that’s perfect!” The girl thought back to when she’d read recipe, it made the cookies with cinnamon style, the result being that the goods would be given an almost cinnamon bun flavour.

“When you find it, set it up on the bookstand and we’ll get started.” Clarisse shot the boy a last half grin before she began collecting the obvious ingredients. Cinnamon, brown sugar, icing sugar, and the like. The girl filled her arms with as much as she could carry before returning to their workspace and laying out what she’d picked up on the countertop. She took a quick glance at the ingredient list again, her eyes passing casually over the moving illustration within the book. She went back for another supply run from the pantry.

#Quinn Kearns / Note: Let's get cookin'

--------------------
user posted image
as played by Namora

Hufflepuff

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options